|Revision as of 14:37, 14 December 2011
UriahFinleyybf (Talk | contribs)
(→Public Unveiling of Barbaro's Statue at Churchill Downs)
← Previous diff
MaryLOhio (Talk | contribs)
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
|Churchill’s 2009 spring meet starts on April 25, and the memorial unveiling will take place the following day before live racing begins. The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby will be held on May 2.||Churchill’s 2009 spring meet starts on April 25, and the memorial unveiling will take place the following day before live racing begins. The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby will be held on May 2.|
|-||''(Clay model of the statue...)'' &lt;/center&gt;||+||''(Clay model of the statue...)'' </center>|
|[http://www.madison.com/tct/news/447948 Former Middleton sculptor's piece to be unveiled at Churchill Downs] The Capital Times, Madison 4/22/09||[http://www.madison.com/tct/news/447948 Former Middleton sculptor's piece to be unveiled at Churchill Downs] The Capital Times, Madison 4/22/09|
|-||*[http://www.gallbladderdetox.net gall bladder symptoms]|
|===FOB DINNER: SAT, APR 25===||===FOB DINNER: SAT, APR 25===|
This page is designed to alert everyone of all the activities in the hope that you will want to attend and meet with other FOBs and so forth.
Public Unveiling of Barbaro's Statue at Churchill Downs
From Churchill Downs: Barbaro Memorial Unveiling Scheduled for Sunday, April 26
A public unveiling of a larger-than-life bronze statue of 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) winner Barbaro will be held on April 26 at Churchill Downs.
The announcement about the unveiling was made on Thursday, the two-year anniversary of Barbaro’s death on January 29, 2007.
“Churchill Downs will provide additional details about the public unveiling as they become available, but we wanted to make certain that Barbaro’s worldwide legion of fans were aware of the ceremony’s date,” said Jim Gates, Churchill’s general manager. “Churchill Downs is proud to have been chosen as Barbaro’s final resting place, and this outstanding memorial is certain to become a popular year-round gathering place for horse lovers throughout the world.”
The statue will be part of Barbaro’s memorial and burial site at Churchill. The statue will be placed outside Gate 1 at the Louisville track, and Barbaro’s ashes will be interred beneath the statue.
A bronze marker featuring Barbaro’s likeness currently marks the future memorial site.
A homebred of Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stables, Barbaro posted a 6 1/2-length victory in the 2006 Kentucky Derby. The Dynaformer colt shattered his right hind leg in the opening strides of the 2006 Preakness Stakes (G1) and later was euthanized because of complications with laminitis.
“Gretchen and I are very much looking forward to the public ceremony this April,” Roy Jackson said. “We are absolutely thrilled that Barbaro will be honored at Churchill Downs with a magnificent statue of his greatest race.”
Equine sculptor Alexa King is overseeing production of the statue, which is nearing its final stages. The statue will feature Barbaro and jockey Edgar Prado in mid-flight near the finish line of the 2006 Kentucky Derby.
Churchill’s 2009 spring meet starts on April 25, and the memorial unveiling will take place the following day before live racing begins. The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby will be held on May 2.
Former Middleton sculptor's piece to be unveiled at Churchill Downs The Capital Times, Madison 4/22/09
FOB DINNER: SAT, APR 25
FOB dinner planned at Buckhead Mountain Grill, IN, on the north banks of the Ohio River, overlooking the beautiful skyline of Louisville!
Good evening, FOBs:
We met with our catering manager at Buckhead Mountain Grill this past Sun and locked in all the details for our Sat, Apr 25 FOB Dinner. I came away from the meeting confident that this is an event we all are going to enjoy!
There’s lots of info to share, so I’m going to break things up and go bullet-by-bullet. After reviewing, if you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org Since this likely will be printed and taken with you to Louisville, let me give you my cell phone number, too: 317.965.5566.
One final note: we are right at 130, which is pretty much the max our designated banquet area(s) can accommodate; as a result, reservations for the dinner are now closed.
• Restaurant location. Buckhead Mountain Grill, 707 West Riverside Drive, Jeffersonville, IN; 812.284.2919.
• Directions. From Louisville, take I-65 North across the Ohio River into Indiana. While you are on the bridge, get over into the far right lanes. As soon as you are across the river, take Exit 0 – Downtown Jeffersonville. At the end of the ramp, turn left. You will go under the I-65 overpass; as soon as you have gone under the bridge, turn left onto North Shore. This street winds around past a Fairfield Inn and other buildings and brings you to a four-way stop. Turn left. Take this street south, thru another four-way stop, to where it T’s into Riverside Drive. A restaurant named Rocky’s will be right in front of you. Buckhead’s is just east (left) of Rocky’s.
• Parking. Riverside Drive is Jeffersonville’s restaurant row, and the area will be extremely busy with our group, several proms, the regular Sat night diners, etc. Please plan to carpool as much as possible! That said, there are quite a few lots in the immediate area. Buckhead’s has lots on both the west and east sides of the facility. You also can park in the Rocky’s lot, in the Kingfish lot, or in the Sheraton hotel lot (across the street from Buckhead’s). According to our catering manager, all of the facilities along Riverside work together to take care of each other and their guests. There also are two fairly large parking lots located on either side of the flood wall across from Rocky’s – those are sometimes overlooked but definitely are available for parking – you’ll just have a little bit of a walk if you park there.
• Time. After reviewing the time thread, we’ve decided to split the difference. Doors to the banquet room will open at 7 pm, with buffet service beginning at 7:30 sharp. We have the room for the entire evening.
• Arrival. Our catering manager is assigning 1-2 hostesses who will work exclusively with our group. When you arrive at Buckhead’s, go to the hostess station right inside the entry and identify yourself as a Fan of Barbaro. The hostess(es) assigned to our group will lead you directly to the banquet room; as a result, there should be very little delay in getting from the front of the restaurant to the banquet area.
• Tickets. Next week, I will be sending out confirmation e-mails to everyone who has reserved. Attached to this e-mail will be a pdf document that you will need to print and bring with you to Buckhead’s. This “ticket” will allow you into the banquet area and also designate the area in which you’ll be seated. Two-to-three FOBs will greet you at the banquet room door, collect money for your dinner and show you to your designated area. Those arriving early are encouraged to check out the vendors, enter the raffles and door prize drawings, and meet and mingle! We’ll have ample time after dinner to socialize, too.
And don’t panic if you forget to bring your “ticket.” We’ll have the reservation list on hand – the ticket simply will help get everyone into the area more quickly, so we do encourage you to bring it.
• Cost. $23 per person (tax & gratuity included). Cash only (checks are not accepted at Buckhead’s) – and we ask you please to have correct change (a twenty and three ones – perfect!).
Children age 10 and under will enjoy the buffet for $7 per (tax & gratuity included). Again, cash only, and exact change will be much appreciated!
• The banquet area. I could not be happier with the set-up. And if the weather on Apr 25 is clear and warm, we will have it made! – so start your prayers, cross your fingers, do your anti-raindance, whatever. The banquet room has floor-to-ceiling window walls which all open onto a private deck – so, if the weather is good and we can use the deck for our auxiliary seating area, we will, in effect, all be seated together! (Plus, the deck has a small wing that’s perfect for vendor/raffle/door prize set up.) If outdoor seating is not possible that evening, an area of the restaurant right outside the banquet room, divided from the room by large windows, has been designated for auxiliary seating – and the vendors, etc., will be positioned inside the banquet room. I really think everyone will love this right-on-the-river setting, overlooking the Louisville skyline.
• Buffet menu. Tossed salad; sliced roast beef; Wyoming-style pot pie (a Buckhead’s signature item – tender chunks of chicken and fresh veggies topped by a flaky golden crust); vegetable medley (fresh steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower); mashed potatoes w/brown gravy; spinach casserole (another Buckhead’s signature item – I sampled this and the pot pie – both delicious! – you will love it, trust me!); freshly baked bread w/cinnamon butter; cheesecake (plain or w/toppings); and beverages (iced tea/coffee/water/soft drinks/milk).
Four servers (and the Buckhead’s GM) will be assigned to our group, to make sure the buffet is constantly replenished and all is going well. FOBs who would enjoy beer, wine or mixed drinks will be able to order from our servers (at additional cost, of course – you will pay the servers directly for bar orders).
And, we'll still create a commemorative menu for the evening.
• Music. After reviewing the thread and considering the cost, we have made the decision not to bring in a musician. FOB MJ graciously has volunteered to cover the cost of and make arrangements for rental of a small, portable sound system so we will have mic, speakers and a CD player. I will bring along some mix CDs (smooth jazz, Motown, and an eclectic mix with everyone from Steely Dan to k.d. lang to Leon Russell) to provide some cool background noise.
The banquet room does have a podium we can use for announcements, introductions, etc.
• Vendors/raffle/door prizes. Five vendors are scheduled to join us at the dinner: Kate Richards Wilt (My Racing Heart fragrance); Jane Heart (the Barbaro jewelry collection); Annie Haag (various items to benefit Speak Up for Horses); Kathy Andros (Inspirational Effects – Swarovski crystal jewelry), and Jamie Gillispie (FOB ribbons & other items). Vendors, please plan to arrive by 6:30p to set up.
Vendors, if you would like to have small signs made for your areas, please e-mail what you need to: email@example.com The FOB who is making our commemorative nametags has volunteered to make signs for all of you, as well.
FOB Otherlyn also will be at the dinner and taking orders for her fabulous FOB caps, totes and t-shirts.
As of this writing (updated 4/9), confirmed raffle items include: a fabulous Barbaro painted denim shirt contributed by FOBs Pat & Linda in Massachusetts; a handcrafted Barbaro calendar contributed by FOB Ellen Z; a sterling silver “I Get It” bracelet contributed by FOB Dawn Olson; two exquisite, matted and framed photos contributed by FOB Jen Stein (Jen of spreadsheet fame!) – an 11x14 photo of Ruffian at the 1975 Mother Goose Stakes signed by Jacinto Vazquez, and an 11x14 photo of Smarty Jones at the 2004 Kentucky Derby signed by Stewart Elliott; a limited edition painted Lost in the Fog t-shirt signed by artist Armando Delgado contributed by FOB Chrys/Sylversky; a piece of Inspirational Effects jewelry contributed by FOB Kathy Andros, and two prints of Barbaro, one 8x10 and one 11x14, contributed by equine photographer Christine George. (Wow! Wow! Wow! to all of these items – thank you to everyone who has contributed!!!)
We also will have a variety of door prizes for which we’ll draw throughout the evening.
• Fund-raising. Proceeds from the raffle and portions of vendor sales will benefit, among others, Our Mims Retirement Haven, Friends of Ferdinand, Speak Up for Horses, Habitat for Horses, The Barbaro Fund and UPenn/Laminitis Research Fund.
• Night-of help. Several FOBs already have volunteered to meet me at Buckhead’s on Sat at 5:30p to assist with set-up (thanks!!). We’ll also need help manning the raffle and door prize areas, making announcements, etc., so we may be asking if you’ll lend a hand that night.
• A final request. As of Sun, Apr 5, my name – and Discover Card number – are on the dotted lines of a Buckhead’s contract. Therefore, if you have made a reservation, not only is our group expecting you to be there – I, personally, am begging you to fulfill your commitment. If for some reason you cannot attend, please, please, please get in touch with me immediately: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317.965.5566 (cell). Please remember: I am leaving for Lexington on the morning of Wed, Apr 22 and WILL NOT HAVE E-MAIL ACCESS between then and our dinner, so if you need to reach me after that date & time, please call on my cell.
Remember: Fri, Apr 10 is deadline for the commemorative nametags so if you haven't requested one yet, do it now: email@example.com
Frens, I think that’s it for now. It’s going to be a spectacular event. I can’t wait! See you all at Buckhead’s!
Sally in Indy
Apr 25 FOB Dinner - UPDATE! 118 confirmed FOBs!! 3/27/09
Latest thread: FOB DINNER: ALL THE DETAILS!!!! Final details & info - 130 FOBs!!! Updated 4/7/09
(photo courtesy of FOB Smartyfan/Barbara)
Old Friends visit FOBs 4/25
10am Lunch Our Mims visit 2pm
Hi.....I have just confirmed with Ruthann at Old Friends for a 10am group tour for FOBs, approx 40-50 or more.
If you are interested, please post to this thread. A meeting place for those staying Friday night in Louisville is at the Red Roof Inn #134 I-264/Newburg Rd.at 8am and transport will be available for those without vehicles.
If coming from Lexington area, please meet at Old Friends entrance area at 945am for the 10am tour.
According to Old FRiends, we should plan to be there about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Will try to grab a quick lunch and then go on to visit with Jeanne at Our Mims approx 2pm until 4pm.
We will leave that area in time to be back in Louisville to meet up and go to the dinner that evening at Buckheads at 7pm. Thank you. See you there.
UPDATE (3/2/09): I believe Sallys suggestion to do a daily breakfast on Friday, Sat. Sun and Mon at Wagners is great. That way, anyone who wishes to visit Wagners will have four different days to do so and the groups will be smaller than if we all converged at the same time. Wagners opens at 8am. It is beginning to look like Friday and Monday other plans have been made for breakfast. Wont be many FOBs on those days at Wagners.
Carpool/Hotel Sharing-Statue Unveiling
Save gas & money, while having fun getting to know fellow FOBs!!
Okay FOB Family..........April 26th is very important to all of us. I'd like to see as many FOB's be there as possible. We need to work together(nothing new for us) on the transport and hotel issues. If you are driving and are willing to carpool.........please post your info on this thread.........if you can share a room with another FOB, please post on this thread. Sharing gas and hotel expenses will benefit everyone. We need to make a big showing for the interment of Our Beloved Barbaro's physical remains. Also, if you live in the Louisville/Lexington area and can help get FOB's around to the various horse attractions.......please post that info here as well. I'd like the FOB's to show up in full force, presenting a unified front..........thanks! Jamie
FOB Ribbon Fundraiser for Unveiling
Hello guys.........Sally (pepsmom) and I came up with a ribbon idea that will serve 2 purposes.........one, to identify each other and the other to raise money for 3 rescues. We will be selling the Lael colored ribbons for $3 each or 2 for $5.00. We will split the money raised 3 ways ~ Friends of Ferdinand, Speak Up For Horses and Our Mims.
FOB Roseann has offered to make the ribbons for us. They will be available starting Friday... Ellie and I will be in town on Thursday and you can certainly purchase one then. I'd love to sell as many as possible early so that we can wear the ribbons to Old Friends, rescues, KHP, Saturday night dinner,etc. Again, we want to present a STRONG and UNIFED front. I want the world to know about The Fans of Barbaro!!!!!!!!! If you'd like to volunteer your talents, please email me through the forum or at firstname.lastname@example.org We can go over specifics about size, pinning methods,etc........then.
Thank you guys......Love, Jamie
ROSES FOR BARBARO'S STATUE UNVEILING
From: JuliaB20 Feb-25 7:42 pm
I have been looking into having roses for everyone who is unable to attend Barbaro's Statue Unveiling on April 26th. My idea is for each person unable to attend, purchase a rose with your name attached to be included in an arrangment ! I have been talking with the florist in Louisville as well as the Derby Musuem.
I need to get an idea of how many folks would be interested in purchasing a rose stem to include in the arrangment!
Please respond to me so that I can give the florist an idea of how many we might need ! You can e-mail me through this link or directly to me at email@example.com please indicate that it is for the Barbaro Rose arrangment !
(photo courtesy of FOB Smartyfan/Barbara)
The story of the ROSES, by Julia B ABR Forum 4/27/09
FOB Pins to benefit Mike Rea
Hello all it's me again !
Any of you recall the beautiful rhinestone FOB pins that Mercy was selling at the Barbaro get together but did not get one (like me ) Now is your chance - Mercy and a couple other FOB are having 3 dozen more made so that we can have them before the statute unveling ceremony and if there are any left over I will be bringing them to the dinner on Saturday April 25th to sell there !
These pins can be pre-purchased for $22.00 and shipped to you directly !
Checks can be made payable to the Mike Rea Irrevocable Trust (these are not tax deductable however)
You can respond to me via this thread with mailing information by posting a reply and selecting "send via -email"
Thanks again -and the proceeds will benefit Mike !
Marathon Run to Benefit BHFER!!
I know a lot of FOB's are heading to Churchill Downs the weekend of the April 25th for the unveiling of the Barbaro statue. My sister and I will be running in the Kentucky Derby Marathon to raise money for Beauty's Haven Farm and Equine Rescue. I have run this race for the last two years in memory of Barbaro.
This year I wanted to do something special in memory of Barbaro and Eight Belles that would help horses so I decided to run for the rescue. ****All funds raised will be matched dollar for dollar**** All proceeds will go directly to Beautys Haven Farm and Equine Rescue in Florida.
As we all know every donation makes a difference in the life of an abused and nelected horse. If you would like to help us help them please send a check to Beauty's Haven Farm and Equine Rescue in care of Chris Bontemps, 4685 Whitney Drive, Hanover Park, IL. 60133. You can even sponsor a specific horse at a specific mile if you would like. So far, we have raised $550.00 and would like to raise at least a $1000.00
The race will run through Churchill Downs on Saturday, April 25th at approximately mile 8.0-8.5. Any support along the way is appreciated. Look for us with our rescue shirts, decked with Eight Belles and Barbaro remembrances !!!!
Nametags for Unveiling Weekend
Commemorative nametags are being made for everyone who will be in Louisville for Barbaro Memorial unveiling weekend activities!
• first & last name • city & state • ABR name
asap to have a commemorative nametag created for you!
Sally in Indy
NEW Barbaro T-shirt
HorseHats.com have just come out with a new Barbaro T-shirt for the Unveiling of the statue ceremonies. It has been licensed by the Jacksons!!
FOB Unveiling Spreadsheet
FOB Jen keeping track of the different events and organizing accordingly
Anyone wishing to be included on the FOB Unveiling Spreadsheet, please e-mail me the following information:
First name and last initial
Will you have a car or are you renting a car
Dates in Lexington and Hotel (if applicable)
Dates in Louisville and Hotel
Cell phone #
Events you are planning to attend (in both Lexington and Louisville)
Looking For (ie need ride to Churchill Downs, want to get together with other FOBs to tour the Derby museum, etc.)
I will only send the list out to those FOBs who are appearing on this list. I'm hoping that this will help to protect privacy (as best as I am able to do).
Please e-mail this info to: firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
Itenerary for Activities
Hello....in an attempt to keep a list of activities for the week of Barbaros statue unveiling at Churchhill Downs, Louisville, Ky, I submit the following items. Fully realizing that everyone may not be able to attend each and every place, please feel free to add to this list.
Starting with Thursday 4/23 approx 1pm a visit to NBAR, Becky. This is where Mary the Mule lives along with others at the rescue. It is located in New Salisbury Indiana, about 25miles NW of Louisville.
Friday, 730am leave Louisville and head to Falmouth Ky to visit with Haps Irish Pub at Shellys. Leave there in time to drive down to
Kentucky Horse Park approx 1130am for a demonstration of re-training a OTTB at the Secretariat Center inside the Park by Susanna.
Upon leaving the park, approx. 230pm will be going to Paris Ky with Gale and Penny, One Horse at at Time to go to Cheryls to visit with A Natural Bluff and Ms Reba, among others.
Also on Friday afternoon approx 2-230pm RRI#134, meet to go to NBAR to meet Becky and Mary the Mule. Be back in Louisville at 6pm for Brainstorming meeting with Jamie at RRI#134 main entrance.
Dinner plans for Fri nite approx 730pm at Cracker Barrel Rest. in Louisville. 2701 Crittenden Dr. The Hotair Balloon Night Glow is at 9pm and within walking distance of the restaurant. They have vendors with Balloon memorabilla, etc.
Sat 8am meet at the main entrance RED ROOF INN#134, I-264/Newburg Rd exit for the caravan over to Lexington and to Old Friends for 10am tour. We will be meeting other FOBs who are already in the Lexington area at 945, so we can all go in together. There are also some FOBs who are going to be going on the Old Friends tour later that day at 3pm.
After a quick lunch, on to Our Mims for a visit with Jeanne and all the Ladies at 2pm.
Will be leaving Our Mims approx 4pm to drive back to Louisville and get ready for the FOB Dinner at Buckheads at 7pm.
Sunday, of course, is the main event....the unveiling of Barbaros Statue at CHD at 1030am. There will be live racing at CHD beginning at 1245pm. CHD has reserved section 115 for FOBs that day. The KD Museum will also be open.
KD Museum is having a special breakfast that morning ($150) per person, including I understand an all day wrist band for the Museum, where there is going to be an expanded display featuring Barbaro. Some of the FOBs have expressed interest in this breakfast.
Other FOBs are going to be having breakfast at Wagners Drug Store, within walking distance of the spot for the unveiling starting at 8am.
No specific plans have been made for Sun night dinner, as yet.
Monday morning.....7-9am is the Dawn at the Downs at CHD.
You can attend the Millionairs Row breakfast at $28 or simply stand along the rail to watch the horses workout.No Charge for this. I understand you may be able to purchase breakfast at the paddock area. Do not know the cost of this breakfast. There will be some of the horses running in the Ky Derby the following Sat.
Many FOBs are departing Louisville on Monday. For those lucky enough to be staying the week....have a great time.
Along with all of these places to visit, there is also a few other things you might like to participate in, including the thread by Julia for the roses display and Pepper is making hearts to be worn by those FOBs in Ky for those FOBs that are unable to be with us. Jamie will have ribbons to wear in the Lael colors. Please see her thread for details.
Any questions, please post to this thread and we will try to get the answer for you.
Please, dont forget to sign up with Jen to be included on the spreadsheet. All the info for who will be in Ky, where they are staying, cell phones so we can keep in contact in Ky, etc. See Jens thread for info on that.
Also, be sure to let Sally know if you are attending the FOB dinner on Sat night. She needs correct info on who and how many will be there that night to plan for the menu, etc.
Thank you all so much for making plans to honor our special boy. I think he will be proud and happy to know how much we care about him. For those of you who wont be able to be with us in person, dont think for a minute that he will not know of your feelings for him. You will be with us in spirit, and that is what is really important.
Additional threads/info about the unveiling
UPDATE Barbaro Breakfast at Museum Message/clarification from the Derby Museum about the breakfast. (March 4th, 2009)
Barbaro Memorial to Be Unveiled Sunday The Rail 4/26/09
Statue required engineering and artistry Kentucky.com 4/25/09
Friends of Barbaro Lexington Herald-Leader 4/25/09
Former Middleton sculptor's piece to be unveiled at Churchill Downs The Capital Times, Madison 4/22/09
Barbaro Statue Unveiling Churchill Downs
Barbaro Memorial Unveiling Set for April Bloodhorse 1/29/09
Barbaro memorial unveiling set for April 26 TB Times 1/29/09
Dawn at the Downs Visitor Event - Churchill Downs
And as it happened...News/Updates/Articles
“I’m home at last; here in Kentucky I entered life, Born in a stall in a barn at first light, Days in the grass with my mother nearby, It was here I raced and caught your eye, I’ve come full circle, back to the start, For here is my home, and here is my heart.” (Mrs. Jackson)
(photo courtesy of FOB Smartyfan/Barbara)
News video of the statue unveiling WAVE 3 Some FOBs interviewed
Barbaro statue unveiled at Churchill Downs Sunday WAVE 3 4/26/09
Churchill Downs Unveils Barbaro Statue Bloodhorse 4/26/09
Churchill unveils Barbaro statue - with video TB Times 4/26/09
Pictures from Barbaro's Unveiling 4/26 ABR Forum 4/26/09
News Account of the Unveiling ABR Forum 4/26/09
Alexa King on HRTV ABR Forum 4/26/09
"Heart of Barbaro" Museum display...!!!! ABR Forum 4/26/09