Top Bunk List
The Top Bunk List is a list of horses, still racing, that have made more than $500,000 and are running for $5,000 or less. We are tracking these horses, thanks to Daily Racing Form's horse watch program. We are trying to retire these horses before they get into a more serious situation. At any given time, there are anywhere between 6 - 10 horses on this list.
The Current list
- Lang Field Grey Roan, Foaled April 24, 2003, Kentucky bred by: Freddy Lewis, Jr. Earniings to date: $ 583,926. Starts: 60, wins: 13, place: 10, Show: 4. By "Langfuhr", out of "Out Field". At 4 years old: Won: Citation Handicap - Gr.1 Show: At 5 years old Won: Ferdinand Handicap. He also competed in many others during 2007 and 2008 including the Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap - Gr.1, the Del Mar Mile Handicap - Gr.2, and the San Gabriel Handicap - Gr.2. He ran under owner Nigel R. Shields and trainer Art Sherman and earned $462,307 while with them until he was claimed on July 5, 2009. Since then he has had seven different owners and trainers. During February, 2012 he was acquired by his current owner DC Boys Racing and trainer Jonathan Nance. He came in 7th by 15 1/4 lengths in a $6,250 claiming race at Turf Paradise on March 3, 2012 and then one week later, on March 10, 2010 he finished last by 16 3/4 lengths in a $3,000 claiming race.
- Orphan BrigadeIs a 10 year old chestnut gelding, born in 2001, by “Roar”, out of “Identifiable”. He is a great grandson of Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer. Orphan Brigade was bred by Sez Who Thoroughbreds in Kentucky. To date Orphan Brigade has 95 starts, 27 wins, 16 seconds and 18 thirds with a total earnings to date of $792,708. His accomplishments are as follows: Fin Pos Year Country Track Race Name 1 2006 USA ZIA Premiere Breeders' Cup Stakes, 1 2005 USA ZIA Eillo Stakes, 1 2005 USA LS Littlebitlively Stakes, 2 2007 USA ZIA Premier Breeders' Cup Handicap, 2 2006 USA ZIA Zia Express Stakes, 2 2007 USA LS Lone Star Park Turf Sprint Handicap, 2 2008 USA RP Brother Brown S. Stakes, 2 2007 USA ALB Charlie Iles Express Handicap, 2 2005 USA RP Brother Brown S. Stakes, 3 2005 USA LS Beck Auto Group Turf Sprint Handicap, 3 2006 USA FG Thanksgiving Handicap, 3 2007 USA HOU Sam Houston Turf Sprint Cup Stakes, 3 2008 USA LS Ford Express Stakes, 3 2007 USA LS Ford Express Stakes, MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION 2005 USA RP Set new course record 5 furlongs in 55.62, 2005 USA ZIA Set new track record 5 furlongs in 56.60. Orphan Brigade is currently running at Delta Downs in Louisiana in $3,500 and $4,000 claiming races. Orphan Brigade raced on 11/9/11 and again on 11/22/11 when he came in second and was again claimed. Orphan Brigade has had 3 new owners and trainers since February of 2011 when he was claimed from Carl Moore and trainer W. Bret Calhous, who had him since 2004.His new trainer is Tim Dixon and is now owned by Jess D. George.
- Who's Bluffing Foaled March 24, 2000, bred by: J. Chester Porter Earniings to date: $ 523,401. Starts: 110, wins: 21, place: 19, Show: 16. By "Pine Bluff", out of "Poisonous". He earned his earnings running high claiming, allowance and a few stakes races. Last raced 8/7/2011 at Charlestown. Last owner: Stevark Stable, Inc. and Nuesch, David, and trained by: Bruce Kravets.
- Stuck In Traffic
- Are You SeriousFoaled February 15, 2002. By "You and I" out of "Iron Feather. Earnings to date: $542,709. Starts: 42, wins: 12, place: 5, Show: 6. First at Kennedy Road Stakes 2005, Bold Venture Stakes 2006, Currently running at Penn National in $4,000 claiming races. Owner and Trainer: Todd Beattie.
- Nkosi ReignsFoaled April 15, 2001. Florida bred by Carson Springs Farm, by "Out of Place", out of "Ms. Jiles". Winnings: 81 Starts: 17 - 15 - 19, Earnings to date $528,597. At 4: Won Cigar Stakes, 2nd Dr. Fager Stakes, 3rd Hanshin Cup Handicap - Gr.3, At 5: Won Spend a Buck Handicap - Gr.3 , 3rd National Jockey Club Handicap - Gr.3, Dr. Fager Stakes Last ran 3/10/2012 at Penn National in a $4,000 claiming. Currently owned by Robert Derr and being trained by Timothy Kreiser.
- Man of Danger
- Spicy Stuff (foaled March 3, 1997) broke his maiden on 5/11/00 at Hollywood Park (defeating Tiznow!) and won the El Cajon Stakes at Del Mar the same year. In 2004, he ran 2nd in the Kelso Handicap and 3rd in the Shecky Greene Stakes at Delaware Park. Earnings = $579,532 (72-19(1)-17-9). Ran at Delaware Park 8/2/08 for $5K; finished last; "showed little". Unconfirmed reports he became the stable pony for his trainer.
- Moonshine Justice
(foaled May 2002) Ran at Fort Erie 8/11 for $9K, finished second. Ran at Fort Erie 8/24 for $5K; finished first and was claimed. Ran at Fort Erie 9/2 for $14K; finished 5th of 6. Ran at Fort Erie 9/23 for $7K, finished first; "had speed to vie then shake clear, held sway through the turn and stretch while proving best." Ran at Fort Erie 10/21 for $7K, finished 3rd. Ran at Mountaineer 11/10 for $5K, finished first and was claimed by Loren G. Cox, trainer and owner; "was hustled out pressing into the turn locking up on the inside of Gotta Bin to Win for the stretch run, went on even terms, digging deep to put a neck up on the wire." Ran at Mountaineer 11/23 for $7,500; finished 3rd; "showed good speed, stalked then chased loose winner from the quarter pole, was outfinished late vying for minor awards, held show." Entered Mountaineer Park, $7.5k 1/19; scratched. Entered Mountaineer Park, 1/20 for $5k; scratched. Entered Mountaineer, $5k 2/7/09; scratched. Entered Mountaineer 3/7 for $7.5k; won. Entered Starter Allowance Mountaineer 3/22; scratched. Ran at Mountaineer 3/30 for $13k(!); did not finish in top 3. Ran at Mountaineer 5/2 for $5K; finished first of 5; "broke sharply moved off the rail setting all the pace, came 3 wide entering the stretch, was mildly encouraged and drew off for a convincing victory being ridden out." Entered in a Starter Allowance at Mountaineer for $5k 5/31 - came in first. Entered 6/15/09 in starter allowance at Mountaineer - scratched. Entered for $8k at Mountaineer 6/30/09 - finished first and was claimed by owner/trainer Jim Corrigan.
- Ricardo A (foaled June 5, 1999) Ran at Philadelphia Park 8/5/08 for $5K; finished first. Ran at Philadelphia Park 8/16 for $7,500; finished first. Ran at Philadelphia Park 8/26 for $16K; finished 4th of 7. Ran at Philadelphia Park 9/15 for $14K; finished 11th of 12; "close up for 1/2 mile then faltered." Ran at the Meadowlands 10/2 for $7,500; finished 2nd. Ran at Philadelphia Park 10/12 for $7,500; finished 3rd. Ran at Philadelphia Park 11/11 for $5K; finished first and was claimed by James P. Taglianetti for Michael J. Gill; "rated the pace while off the rail, was carried out leaving the quarter pole then again in the upper stretch, recovered stride to regain the lead inside the sixteenth pole and was clear approaching the wire." Ran at Philadelphia Park 11/22 for $7,500; finished second and was claimed by Alfredo Velazquez for Anita Racing Stable; "moved closer in the far turn, loomed boldly in midstretch, then was no match for the winner." Received 12/4/08 from Turning for Home: "Ricardo A was claimed by Freddy Velazquez, who used to have him. I told Freddy about you and how you were interested in the horse when he is ready to retire, and he was very happy. I see him all the time at PHA, and will let you know if he needs you." :) Entered Philadelphia Park, 1/12, claiming $5k. Entered Philadelphia 1/16, claiming $7.5k. Entered Philadelphia Park 2/2 claiming $7.5k - finished 5th. Entered Philadelphia Park, 2/21 for $5k. Entered to run at Philly Park 5/24/09 for a $7.5k tag - finished 1st of 6. Entered for a $5k tag at Monmouth on 6/10/09 - scratched. Entered 6/16/09 at Philly for $7.5k tag - placed 1st. Entered 6/28/09 at Monmouth for $7.5k. Finished 3rd. Entered at Monmouth 7/15/09 for $6.5k - finished 3rd. Ran 8/9/09 for $5k at Monmouth - finsihed 3rd. Unconfirmed reports that he lost an eye due to complications from this race; unsure how his connections will be proceeding with his career. On 09/30/2009, learned from Barbara Luna, Director of Philadelphia Park's Turning for Home, that Ricardo A has been retired and is being delivered to TFH. A good permanent retirement is now being sought. Update on 10/01/2009: Ricardo A has not been gelded; he is, therefore, not eligible for Turning for Home's transition program. His owner does not want to geld him now due to Ricardo A's age. He is appparently going to be put back into racing for the winter, and, if no permanent home here in the U.S. is found, will be sent to South America to stand at stud.
- Stormy Roman (foaled 5/9/1999) Earned $503,000. Ran for $5k at Meadowlands on 11/13/08 - finished 6th. Worked 1/12/09 a half at Nelson Jones Farm and Training Center (Ocala FL). 5/8ths in 1:05 1/29/09. Worked another half 2/5 in 51.2 same training Center. Worked 3/8ths in 39 4/22/09. 1/2 in 50, 4/30. Worked 5f in 1:03 flat at Suffolk Downs on 5/21/09. Worked 5f in 1:04 at Suffolk Downs on 5/28/09. Entered $5k 5/31 at Suffolk Downs - scratched.
- Prince Slew (foaled January 4, 1998) Record 63-12(6)-9-8, made $573,000. Placed first in the 2003 Gold Cup Handicap, 2000 Louisiana Champions Day Juvenile Stakes, 2000 Louisiana Futurity, 2004 Cypress Stakes, 2001 Arcadia Stakes, and the 2000 Pelican State Stakes. Placed second in the 2002 & 2003 Louisiana Champions Day Classic Stakes, 2001 Louisiana Breeders' Derby, and the 2001 Inaugural Handicap. Placed third in the 2004 Gulf Coast Classic, 2004 Louisiana Premier Night Championship Stakes, 2004 John Henry Handicap, 2003 Cypress Stakes, and 2004 Bayou State Stakes. He was claimed once in his career in 2007 by owner Joseph Besecker. Ran for $4k at Penn National on 3/27/09 - finished 1st. Ran for $5k at Penn National on 4/18/09 - finished first. Ran in a $21k Starter Allowance at Penn National on 5/1/09 - chart lists him as DNF (did not finish) - "distanced". Ran $5k Penn National 5/21/09 - finished 5th - "2wd, late rally". Ran for a $6250 tag at Penn National on 6/3/09 - finished 9th of 10 - "wide, no factor". Entered for $5k at Penn National 6/20/09 - card canceled after first race due to safety concerns. Worked 1/2 in 49.4 on 6/27/09 at Penn National. Entered for $6250 at Penn National on 7/24/09 - finished 8th. Ran 8/21/09 at Penn National for $5k - finished 5th. Top Bunk Horse Prince Slew
- Summer Book Summer Book (foaled 3/5/01) - came in 5th in a $5,000 claimer on 6/20 lifetime earnings $528,258. A stakes winner. Entered for $5k on 7/10/09 at Mountaineer - finished 4th of 7. Entered 7/20/09 at Mountaineer for $5k - placed 2nd of 7. Entered 8/29/09 at Mountaineer for $5k. Finished a non-threatening fifth.
- Dashing Admiral (foaled 4/25/01) 48 Starts: 12 - 4 - 5, $505,328, At 3: Won Bold Ruckus S.; 2nd Deputy Minister S.; 3rd Achievement H., Vice Regent S. Ran June 28, 09 claiming $4k Fort Erie, finished 4th of 6. Did not fire. Running starter allowance on July 5 at Fort Erie on the Turf. Finished 7th. Entered $4k Fort Erie, 7/26. Finished second. Finished 4th August 10 for $4k at Fort Erie. Entered for $5k at Fort Erie September 1. Finished 5th for $5k, 9/21 at Fort Erie. Entered $5k claiming, Mountaineer Park, 10/4. Finished 7th.
- Cool Selection Foaled 02/22/1999. Canadian-bred. Breeder: Bruno Brothers Farm (Ontario). Record as of 11/27/09: 71-20-9-9; Earnings: $684,171. Most recent race results: Ran 9/21/09 at Remington Park for a $4K tag; finished 2nd. Ran 10/12 at Remington Park for a $4K tag; finished 1st. Ran 10/30 at Remington Park for a $4K tag; finished 1st. Entered for a $4K tag at Remington 11/27/09, Race 4. Finished 2nd. "hustled to front, set pace into stretch, went gamely before weakening." Claimed by Terry J. Brennan. Worked out 12/30 at Oaklawn Park, 5 Furlongs, 1.02:20 breezing, Track fast, Surface dirt, ranked 10/40. Ran 01/22/10 at Oaklawn Park for a $5K tag, Race 6, finished 9/12; "vied up front in the early going between foes while 4 wide into the turn, gave way."
- Top Bunk, who fit this category, inspired this project. He was retired, in large part, by the generous support of Fans of Barbaro.
- Ask The Lord is the first horse from the list who has been retired thanks to lots of networking by FOB MaryAinMI and many others, and the financial assistance of Kenny McPeek, who has given Ask The Lord a forever home at McPeek Racing's Magdalena farm. Ask the Lord gets new life on farm DRF, excerpt: A few months ago, Brown compiled a list of 10 horses who have earned $500,000 or more and are running for a claiming price of $5,000 or less. His goal is retirement for all of them, and so far two of them are off the track, Ask the Lord and Top Bunk.
- Dashboard Drummer Retired
Photo copyright Preferred Pals Stable
Photo copyright Thoroughbred Report
Foaled 04/24/01. Oklahoma bred. Breeders: Bob and Paulette Pogue. Current owner: Mohan Enterprises, Inc. Current trainer: Amalio Trejo. Won his first three times out, bringing home $100,000+ and setting a track record for 2 furlongs at Prairie Meadows. Record as of 12/29/09: 58-9(2)-8(2)-10(5) (Earnings: $502,636). Ran 8/14/09 at Penn for $4,000 tag; finished second, won $2,400. Ran 8/29/09 at Penn for $4,000 tag; finished 6/9, won $0. Ran 12/29/09 at Turf Paradise for $5,000 tag; finished 6/7, won $0. Ran 01/19/10 at Turf Paradise for a $3,000 tag; finished 1st. Worked out 02/09/10 at Turf Paradise, 5 Furlongs on dirt in 59.60, track condition fast, rank 3/44.
- Judge's Case Retired (was retired off site!) More details.
- Witt Ante Louisiana Champion. Ran for $4k at Evangeline Downs 7/18. Finished 7th at 44/1. Retired by his breeder, Sue Ball. Will help with the weanlings!
- Lights On Broadway
Texas Horse of the Year, 2001 Ran at Anthony Downs, KS, for $2.5K 7/13/08 and 7/20/08 Talking with his trainer. It appears he purchased Lights on Broadway from a kill buyer in June for $200. Ran 8/3 for $3.5K at Blue Ribbon Downs, OK; finished 7th of 9, "no threat, failed to menace." Effort underway to raise funds to retire former Texas Horse of the Year Lights on Broadway Texas Thoroughbred Association 8/15/08 Rescue Update For Lights On Broadway 8/27/08
Ran at Colonial Downs 7/15 for $5K; finished 5th of 6. Ran at Laurel Park 8/14 for $9K; finished 9th of 10. Ran at Laurel Park 9/5 for $9K; finished last. Top Bunk List Gelding- MD needs home! TOP BUNK LIST RUDIRUDY RETIRED!!
- Frazee's Folly
Ran at Mountaineer 7/5 for $5K; finished 3rd. Ran at Mountaineer 7/28 for $5K; finished 2nd; "sent hard, battled for the lead racing three wide around the turn,held a slight edge top of the lane, battled gamely to the wire, was out-nodded in last jumps, missed in a very determined effort." Ran at Mountaineer 9/12 for $5k; finished 6th of 10; "tracked to mid turn, angled to the rail turning for home, gave chase under a stiff drive, tired inside the eighth pole." Owner is a regular contributer on ABR and notes Frazees Folly is in safe hands Will retire after next startFrazee won his final start and will be heading to New Vocations very soon. (First photo above shows Frazee's Folly with Megan Bolte after a dressage test in which they placed 3rd!) Inside Track: Folly Good Fellow
- Organ Grinder
Ran August 18, $5k Fort Erie, finished second. Claimed in last start. Standing at Stud in Canada according to Jennifer.
- Easy Grades Ran for $5k at Churchill Downs, 11/19/08 Finished 4th. Has made $559,000. Worked January 5 2009, Oaklawn Park, half mile in 54 seconds. Entered for Saturday, January 17, Oaklawn Park for $7.5K Fnished ninth after chasing the lead. Retired and off to Old Friends: Easy Grades...Top Bunk List
- Davids Expectation Ran August 8, $4k Ellis Park, finished 5th. According to e-mail received 4/22 he is now standing stud at Gladd Farms in Glencoe, Ok for longtime Breeders Frank Gladd and John Lowder.
- Pay Attention
Pay Attention (foaled 3/14/01) finished 2nd in the $150,000 NY Stallion Times Square Stakes and 3rd in the $250,000 NY Stallion Stakes in 2004. He was claimed for the 12th time early in 2008 and underwent surgery to remove a bone chip from his ankle with the plan to run him back. His first race after almost a year was a $4k claimer at Penn National on 3/12/09 - he finished 10th of 12. He ran again on 3/28 $4k Penn National -- finished 4th of 8. Entered 4/25 at Penn National, race 8 - finished 8th of 9. He has earned $510,734 in his career (74-12-8-11). He retired in May 2009. Pay Attention's wiki A video of Pay Attention
- Out of My Way Ran at Penn National 7/22/08 for $5K; finished last. In an exchange of e-mails with Out of My Way's then trainer, Kathleen Parker, on 5/2/09, we learned that Out of My Way retired sound from racing shortly after this race and was returned to his breeder by his then owner, Elite Stables. Trying to get an update from the breeder now. Final record: 61-13-10-8; $517,180. His first time out, March 3, 2000, at the now defunct Sportsman's Park outside of Chicago, he broke his maiden and set a new track record. Won 4 stakes races and finished 3rd in two more, 2000-2004. Foaled April 8, 1997.
- Tour of the Cat (earner of over $1 million) Entered for $5k at Presque Isle 7/16/09 - finished 6th of 7. Claimed, retired, and off to Old Friends! Tour of the Cat! We got him!
- Running Free Running Free - came in 2nd in a $4,000 claimer on 5/31 lifetime at Emerald Downs. Lifetime earnings $534,844. Multiple Stakes winner in California. Confirmed report that he retired to Tranquility Farm in CA July 2009.
- Lord of the Game (foaled 2/1/01) Winner of over $540,000. At 4: Won Cornhusker BCH-G2, Hanshin Cup H-G3; 2nd Claiming Crown Jewel S., Hawthorne Gold Cup-G2; 3rd National Jockey Club H-G3. He is reported to have suffered a "career-ending injury" in 2005, but returned to the races in an Allowance Optional Claiming race at Fairgrounds on 1/1/09, finishing 6th. On 4/15/09 he was raced for a $25k tag and finished 7th. Ran at Arlington for a $5k tag on 7/29/09 - finished 2nd. From DRF: Earlier Wednesday, Lord of the Game will drop in for a career-low claiming price when making his first start in Chicago since finishing a close second in the 2005 Hawthorne Gold Cup. A career earner of nearly $540,000, Lord of the Game is one of 11 horses entered in the third race, a conditioned $5,000 claiming route. Top Bunk list - Lord of the Game Entered Arlington 8/19 starter $5k Finished 6th. Running 8/29 for $5k at Mountaineer. Finished second. Claimed by Maggi Moss and retired.
- Sing Me Back Home
(Sing Me Back Home getting a bath before his 8/11/09 race)
Foaled 02/24/98. 114 starts: 15 - 29 - 18, $619,541. Stakes: 2 - 4 - 2. Purchased for $6,000 at the 1999 Ocala Breeders Open Yearling sale. Owned for the last 3 years by 70 year old Ralph Whitney. Lovely article about Mr. Whitney and his two "grizzled old veterans," Sing Me Back Home and Cool N Collected, in The Sun Newspaper out of Lowell, MA. He clearly takes great care of this duo. In the article, Mr. Whitney stated that he planned to retire Sing Me Back Home to the horse's breeder's farm in Ocala at the end of the Suffolk meet this November. Here is the link to the July 8, 2009, article (it will be in their archives): http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_12775410. Unfortunately, Sing Me Back Home was claimed from Mr. Whitney by Alejandro Gomez for $4,000 on 09/23/09. While owned and trained by Mr. Whitney, Sing Me Back Home ran an average of every 13-14 days during any particular meet. Since being claimed, Sing Me Back Home is running every 5-10 days. Ran at Suffolk 9/28 for $4K (five days after last race); finished 2nd. Ran at Suffolk 10/5 for $4K (seven days after last race); finished 4th. Entered at Suffolk $4K claiming race 10/10 (five days after last race); finished 5th. Entered at Suffolk $4K claiming race 10/17 (seven days after last race); finished 2nd. Entered at Suffolk $4K claiming race 10/27 (ten days after last race); finished 1st. Entered at Suffolk $4K claiming race 11/2 (6 days after last race); finished 7th of 8. Ran at Suffolk $4K claiming race 11/7, last day of meet and 5 days after last race; finished 7th of 9. Now retired at Second Chances at the Plymounth County House of Corrections in Massachusetts.
- Scooter Roach
Ran for $3,500 at Beulah Park 12/9, and won. Retired in May 2010 to the Illinois Equine Humane Center (ILEHC) in Elgin, IL! Final record: 15 wins in 88 starts and $842,754 in total earnings.
- Twisted Wit
By Distorted Humor, out of Sandhill Charm. Foaled in 2001. Canadian Bred. Breeder: Ron Clarkson. Earnings as of 7-12-10: $943,599. Starts: 71, Wins: 15, Placed: 15, Showed: 5. Started career at Woodbine in 2003. He won the Wandal Stakes and Simcoe Stakes in 2003. Twisted Wit was the runner up Sprint Champion after winning the Queenstown Stakes, Achievement Handicap, and taking second in the Bold Venture Handicap and in the Mt. Sassafras Stakes in 2004. He also won the Kenora Stakes in 2006. Claimed from Rolph A. Davis in 2008. Twisted Wit was claimed on 8-5-2010. Total earnings to date: $ 944,699. Twisted Wit now resides in retirement in Michigan with Top Bunk. When arriving last August he had some issues with his front feet that kept him stall bound for 8 months. He now keeps company with 4 other retired OTTB's and is loving every minute of it! He was retired, in large part, by the generous support of Fans of Barbaro, admirers at Woodbine and Rolph Davis, one of his previous owners.
- Ball Four Foaled in 2001, by Grand Slam, out of Making Faces. Bred by B.D. Gibbs Farm LLC and Grand Slam Farm LLC. Bred in Kentucky. 31 Starts, 9 wins, 3 place, 4 shows. Accomplishments: 1st in Kentucky Cup Classic G2(2006), Mervyn Leroy Handicap G2(2009), Fayette Stakes G3(2008), Tejano Run Stakes (2006), 2nd in Kentucky Cup Classic G2(2005), San Antonio Handicap G2(2007), Fayette Stakes G3(2006),and third in the Native Diver Handicap G3 (2008). Total Earnings to date: $730,470. Set new track records at Belmont in 2004 for 7 1/2 furlongs in 1:29:38 and at Turfway Park in 2006 for 9 furlongs in 1:48:29. Last ran at Penn National on 2/11/11. Trainer David Jacobson and Bruce Golden Racing retired Ball Four to Old Friends Equine Retirement in Georgetown, Kentucky while he could still be a horse and enjoy retirement. He arrived on March 12, 2011.
- B. B. Best Retired!!!! To Pure Thoughts Retirement, Florida. Foaled in 2002, By Yes It's True, out of Bold Juana. Bred in Florida by Bent Oak Farm. Ran in 46 races, won 12, place 3, showed 8. Ran at Aquaduct in December 2009 in a $25,000 claimer and never ran again until 8/28/2010 when he ran in a $5,000 claimer at Mountaineer. Total earnings to date: $772,953. He has run agains top horses such as Lava Man and Lawyer Ron. Here are his major accomplishments. 2004, Florida Stallion In Reality S., first, 2004, Florida Stallion Dr. Fager S., first, 2006, Ambehaving S., first, 2004, Wynn Dot Comma S., first, 2005, Spend a Buck H. [G3], second, 2005, Florida Derby [G1], third, 2005, Fountain of Youth S. [G2], third, 2007, Artax H. [L], third, 2004, Florida Stallion Affirmed S., third, 2006, Champali S., third, 2005, Radar Love S., third. B.B.Best last raced at Mountaineer on 12-27-10 and placed third. He is currently owned by Kenneth O. Smallwood and trained by James Barker. BB Best recently had a work out at Cain's Thoroughbred in Kentucky. He is scheduled to run on March 20, 2011 at Mountaineer. B.B. Best was retired from racing on 5-6-11 after being claimed by Maggi Moss He was retired, and in large part, by the generous support of Fans of Barbaro. He was retired to Pure Thoughts Retirement and Rescue in Florida.
- '"" Stream Of Gold Retired
Did not make it
Speed Whiz Won the West Virginia Breeders' Classic in 2005 and 2006. Earner of $613,000. Ran for $4.5k at Laurel, 12/26/08 Finished 7th. Worked Bowie, 4/24/09 3/8ths 37. Ran 6th for 5k at Pimlico, 5/8/09. Entered at Charles Town 6/11/09 for $4k tag - scratched. Entered for $4k Charles Town 6/13 - pulled up nearing far turn and was vanned off the track. Speed Whiz - Top Bunk - vanned off track. Unconfirmed reports that his connections were allowing him 6 weeks of recuperation from a non-life threatening injury at the Bowie Training Center before deciding whether to race again. It was reported on the ABR forums on 6/29/09 that Speed Whiz was euthanized for reasons unrelated to his recent injury at the advice of his veterinarian.
RIP - Mighty Beau ABR 12/3/08
Graded Winner Scooter Roach Retired Bloodhorse, May 11, 2010
Moss helps claim, retire two Cornhusker winners September 3, 2009
Lord of the Game claimed, retired Daily Racing Form, September 1, 2009
Where do Racehorses Go? New York Times, August 2009
Horseracing's Dirty Little Secret and Lights on Broadway WFAA, July 26, 2009
West Manchester Township woman provides love, home for former racehorse. York Dispatch, June 11, 2009
Working to Retire the War Horses NYT's The Rail, June 2, 2009
For Dallas and Donna Keen, the Mission is Saving Thoroughbreds Fort Worth Star-Telegram, April 30, 2009
A Second Act Texas Thoroughbred Association Magazine, November-December 2008
“Top Bunk” List Helps Past Champions Find Happy Endings EQUINE Ink, September 21, 2008
New career beckons for former top horse Horsetalk, September 17, 2008
At The Races with Steve Byk (second half hour) September 10, 2008
Top racehorse narrowly escapes death Horsetalk, September 4, 2008
2001 Texas Horse of the Year Lights on Broadway Saved from Slaughter, Retired Texas Thoroughbred Association, September 3, 2008Ask the Lord gets new life on farm Daily Racing Form, July 18, 2008
Retired so far...